SBS2k and 4gigs of memory = Exchange errors??
Joe SoandSo
2008-12-15 23:11:56 UTC
Hi all,
I've got an sbs2k server that we are using as an email server as
well. Recently we installed more RAM to bring the total to 4 gigs. Since
doing this we began to receive these errors on an hourly basis:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: Performance
Event ID: 9582
Date: 11/3/2008
Time: 10:47:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
The virtual memory necessary to run your Exchange server is fragmented in
such a way that normal operation may begin to fail. It is highly recommended
that you restart all Exchange services to correct this issue.

After several days the email service doesn't respond until we reboot
the server. I recently removed 2 of the 4 gigs of memory to bring it back
down to 2 gigs total and the problem went away.

I would like to continue using the 4 gigs, but I would like to avoid
having errors and reboots. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

sbs2k w/sp1, win2k sp4, exchange sp4

We don't have a lot of storage space left on the c: partition so I
would like to not have to update any SP's.

Your help if much appreciated.

Thanks a billion,
Joe.
Duncan McC
2008-12-16 00:03:21 UTC
Are you running ES SP3 (lots of fixes in it).

Have a look here:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9582&source=MSExchangeIS

Lots of guff under Details in both.
--
Duncan
Joe.
Joe SoandSo
2008-12-16 20:10:49 UTC
Thanks very much for the feed back.

But, I looked at that eventid.net entry. It has too much detail that
doesn't seem to apply to this situation. In particular the problem only
arises when adding more memory.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences when adding more memory?

Is it ok to run sbs2k with 4 gigs of memory or is there a lesser
recommendation?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe.
Joe SoandSo
2009-01-06 21:18:30 UTC
Well, I would have liked a bit more help from this group, but I understand
fewer people are still using sbs2k.

Here is what I found doing a bunch of searching.. Only one little reference
from MS, or the entire web for that matter:

from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302254:
IMPORTANT: Note that it is not recommended that you run Windows 2000 Server
with anything more than 2 GB of memory (that is, do not use the /3GB
switch), when you are running Exchange 2000 because anything over that
amount is unused. If the Store.exe process runs out of virtual address
space, the memory is all on the server. To get the best use out of the added
memory, run Windows 2000 Advanced Server, not Windows 2000 Server. The /3GB
switch has advantages only when you use it on a Windows 2000 Advanced
Server-based computer.

Hope it helps someone else!

Thanks,
Joe.