Migrating from SBS 2000
troonm
2009-03-26 16:53:01 UTC
We have been running our domain on Windows Small Business Server 2000 since
2003. It is time to replace the hardware and I would like to move away from
SBS and just use Server 2008, and abandon Exchange. What things should I
consider when doing this type of migration. I would like to keep the SBS
around for a while longer, but eventually remove it completely. Until now
SBS has been the only Domain Controller. I would like to introduce Server
2008 into the domain and allow it to become a peer Domain controller. Can I
do this with SBS? Can SBS have multiple domain controllers? Is it as simple
as running Forest Prep and AD prep, exporting and importing dns and dhcp and
dcpromo. Can you recommend any documentation that I should look at. Thanks
very much for your time.

Best regards
Matt
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
2009-03-26 18:34:19 UTC
Yes you can have multiple dc's but you can't have a 2008 dc in a 2000 domain.
So you'd have to have a 2003 dc first to grab everything, then go to 2008
why give up exchange?
--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

Matt
SuperGumby [SBS MVP]
2009-03-26 18:56:20 UTC
sure about that Cris? Though SBS08 is minimum 2003 AD functional level I'd
expect Server08 to be OK in a 2000 level AD.
--
SBS remote support services. (Fees apply)
mickm at mickmalloy dot dyndns dot org

"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <***@cpunospamservices.net> wrote in
message news:%***@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Matt
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

Matt
troonm
2009-03-26 21:07:02 UTC
So can I dcpromo the 2008 server and then I will just have to remove the SBS
2000 from the domain? The 2008 can't be the FSMO if the SBS is there? I
will have to remove it? Does that sound correct?

Matt
Matt
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

Matt
troonm
2009-03-26 20:51:05 UTC
thanks Cris, I'd like to give up Exchange mostly because I don't like the
responsiblity of backing up and restoring all of the email. I'd rather let
someone like Google host it and take care of backup and restore. Plus I
really like the features that Gmail and IMAP provides for our users.

Matt
Matt
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

Matt
troonm
2009-03-26 21:19:00 UTC
Thanks Cris, no I'm definitly the "Jack of all trades" IT guy who's looking
at his aging SBS2000 hardware and hoping it will not fail before I'm able to
replace it. Just trying to understand as best I can the problems before I
start changing things. There are other reasons like potential branch offices
that make me want to get off of the SBS and on to just plain server.

Matt
Matt
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-03-26 23:57:32 UTC
Hi Matt:

If I may, I would like to suggest that you bring in a SBS consultant that
knows his stuff before you make this kind of a move. SBS has matured a lot
since 2000 and offers many more features than your currently experiencing.
Branch offices are handled pretty well, and the Remote Access features are a
joy unto themselves. With SBS 2008 you can spread the load, if you need SQL
to two boxes, and the backups are now to external hard drives as complete
images.

If it is the sheer size of your organization that causes you to consider
leaving SBS, look at EBS, a three or four server solution that allows for
many more users, upwards of 300.
--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
So you'd have to have a 2003 dc first to grab everything, then go to
2008
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
why give up exchange?
--
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
dcpromo. Can you recommend any documentation that I should look
at. Thanks
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
very much for your time.
Best regards
Matt
troonm
2009-03-27 00:13:01 UTC
Thanks very much for your advise Larry and Cris and SuperGumby, I'm definitly
trying to weigh all my options and understand all the problems as throughly
as I can before doing anything. I have to go for now, but look forward to
discussing this further. I'll write again soon. Thanks for your time.

Regards
Matt
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
So you'd have to have a 2003 dc first to grab everything, then go to
2008
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
why give up exchange?
--
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
dcpromo. Can you recommend any documentation that I should look
at. Thanks
Post by Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
very much for your time.
Best regards