SBS 2000 - Supported Configuration
Martyn Hudson
2009-11-15 11:46:02 UTC
Consider a SBS 2000 installation with 2 NIC's and all CD options accept SQL
2000 and ISA 2000. Despite having 2 NIC's and no ISA (just RRAS effectively)
is this configuration supported.... will it work in this older version as it
does with SBS 2003 Standard?
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
2009-11-15 17:06:33 UTC
Are you planning to or attempting to install fresh, or are you planning to
or attempting to remove SQL and ISA?

If a fresh install, the best suggestion i can offer at this point is to try
deselecting them as you run the installation.

I guess you know that this version of SBS is no longer supported by MS, and
security updates and the like are not being issued?

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com
Martyn Hudson
2009-11-16 00:08:02 UTC
Larry

This is a fresh install, a rebuild of an existing system which after many
years could do with it. No plans to move over to 2008 just yet.

Perhaps when I said supported config I should of said "is this really going
to work.. or will it throw a wobbly?" I know 2000 is now out of its extended
support phase.

The current config which uses isa 2000 is overkill for the small number of
users and no monitoring is required. The small business concerned uses a
hardware WatchGuard firebox after its router so as per SuperGrumpy's
comments.. single NIC behind a good hardware firewall is a possibility.
.
Merv Porter
2009-11-16 02:26:36 UTC
I've probably forgotten more about SBS 2000 than I ever knew. :-)

However, you should be able to run SBS 2000 with a single NIC. ISA would
then be running in "cached" mode rather than "firewall" (Integrated) mode.
You can also completely remove ISA 2000 from the server after installation
by using the "rmisa.exe" utility found on the SBS 2000 CD2. I would
probably leave SQL 2000 in place and not try to uninstall it. I would also
make sure to apply SBS 2000 SP1a (and SQL 2000 SP4) to the server after the
install but before the ISA removal. You should also be able to configure
with a 2 NIC install without ISA (removing ISA after the SBS 2000 SP1a
upgrade).

How to Configure a SBS for Full Time Internet Access with a Single Network
Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309633

Small Business Server 2000 Service Pack 1a
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F4FC58D0-1FAC-4927-84D7-189FA1B690BE&displaylang=en

Cannot Install the Full Version of ISA Server 2000 Over the Evaluation
Version
(use rmisa.exe to remove ISA 2000 from server)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813749

SBS 2000 Articles
http://www.sbs-rocks.com/articles.htm

CALs... remember that these are installed via floppy disks and each setup
floppy is modified during the CAL install procedure . If you have multiple
floppy disks that were used for the original install, after the freshly
server is installed again, you will need to insert the last-used floppy.
This process then should restore all your CALs. And remember that the CAL
installation locks itself to the internal NIC, so make sure you know which
NIC was used as the "internal" NIC when the CALs were installed and then use
that NIC for your subsequent single-NIC install.
--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
.
SuperGumby [SBS MVP]
2009-11-15 23:17:13 UTC
NO configuration of SBS 2000 is currently supported, so go wild, do what you
want, it makes no difference.

Personally, if I was looking after SBS2000 (which I did until late June 09),
without ISA I would have a decent firewall in front of it and run as single
NIC.