Running SBS's SQL server on it's own server
Brad Pears
2008-09-04 17:23:37 UTC
Does anyone out there know if it's possible to purchase SBS 2003 BUT run the
SQL server portion of SBS on it's own separate server using the existing SBS
licensing? I have been told this is possible but would like some other
comments...

Purchasing and licensing the individual products incorporated into SBS would
be cost prohibitive for our company so purchasing SBS 2003 (we actually want
to upgrade from our exisiting SBS 2000 product) would be the way to go for
us. However, we would prefer to run the SQL Server portion on it's own
server...

Thoughts?

Thanks, Brad
SteveB
2008-09-04 20:26:44 UTC
No you can't separate out all the individual components and put on other
servers. 2003 R2 does give you expanded CAL rights so that you can use those
CALs to access another server with separate SQL licensing. Perhaps you
should get SBS 2003 PE with SA which will then give you an upgrade to SBS
2008 PE when released which does have a 2nd server capability.
Thanks, Brad
Brad Pears
Thanks, Brad
SteveB