SBS 2000 License Question
mikej63146
2008-09-16 00:52:22 UTC
A "Not for Profit" organization I do network consulting for has received a
gift of a Server and 11 Workstations. The server has SBS 2000 with 15 CAL's
and the workstations have Win2K. Do I need to relicense them in any way?
Also, they have several other PC's with XP. Will these be compatible with
SBS 2000 and will there be any licensing issues between XP and SBS 2000?

Mike Jokerst
Bent Oak Technologies, LLC
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
2008-09-16 01:02:47 UTC
Hi Mike,

SBS License... The SBS 2000 server license needs to be properly transferred
to the new owner.

Wn2K Workstations... of course, these will still function, but an upgrade to
XP for them is warranted.

XP Machines and SBS 2000... No real problems here.

Does the Not-For-Profit qualify for Techsoup MS pricing?

www.techsoup.com

If they do, XP upgrade licenses are cheap as well as other Microsoft
software.

Does the new owner presently have a server?

SBS 2000, for the most part, not supported by MS any longer. If the server
specs are OK, an upgrade to SBS 2003 would be a better fit.
--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
Bent Oak Technologies, LLC
mikej63146
2008-09-16 01:59:00 UTC
Merv,
Thanks for the info, especially on techsoup. I'll get the hardware specs
and see if it can take SBS 2003, although I'm guessing it will need more RAM.
I'm sure the PC's will handle XP. They presently do not have a server.
This will be their first server. I finally got rid of their last Win98SE PC
last year :)