Any procedure to migrate/transit SBS2000 to AD2008+Exchange2007SP1
TFS
2009-04-26 16:59:02 UTC
I've been searching and reading all I could find *during two weeks* on how to
migrate/transit my SBS2000 to AD 2008 + Exchange 2007SP1, but in vain. Could
someone give me a clue?

I don't mean move from SBS2000 to SBS2008, but really from SBS2000 to AD2008
+ Exchange 2007(SP1).

The current SBS2000 I have contains the DC, Exchange 2000, DHCP and DNS.
I've already a *new* machine ready to install Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
and Exchange 2007SP1 in it. All I need is a procedure. Or is it just NOT
possible to move away from the SBS family?

And I'd also appreciate if I could avoid some intermediate steps like
migrating to SBS2003 first, if possible.
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-04-26 17:57:36 UTC
We are always interested in why SBS is being left behind. SBS has improved
so much since 2000, you might want to take another look, assuming you
haven't passed out if its current 75 user or device limits.

As for your present issue, of course it is possible to move from SBS 2000 to
Windows 2008. The amount of work involved depends on what you start with.

How many users? How big is the exchange store? How many mailboxes are over
2 GB? What is the ultimate client for Exchange? How many desktops?

All of this factors into the path from Windows 2000 anything to Windows 2008
anything.

For a few desktops, a few users, and Outlook 2003 or 2007, I might create
.pst files from the exchange, install a new domain, and manually move all
the systems and users to the new domain. Cleaner, no muss, no fuss. Saving
the profiles is either a manual process, or for many there is a third party
utility.

With larger exchange mailboxes and OL 2000, where psts over 2 GB are not
supported, you may have a different problem.

Server 2000 implies that the domain and some or all of the systems have been
in place for some time, so it might be time to clean things up.

For X+1 users, a number only your threshold can determine, I might look into
swing migration.

www.sbsmigration.com

You still have to deal with the mail and the data, and afaik, a 2000 or 2003
store cannot be mounted in 2007, so exmerge or .pst is the only way.
--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
TFS
2009-04-27 07:59:01 UTC
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
We are always interested in why SBS is being left behind. SBS has improved
so much since 2000, you might want to take another look, assuming you
haven't passed out if its current 75 user or device limits.
Not yet, but almost. We're a bit over 50 today, and will be about 75 users
in a year. As to the device, the ratio device/users is about 1.5. So it's
easy to calculate.
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
As for your present issue, of course it is possible to move from SBS 2000 to
Windows 2008. The amount of work involved depends on what you start with.
How many users?
50 users
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
How big is the exchange store?
Private store has been full since two years and we've been forcing users to
delete old stuffs from time to time to keep the store in "shape". Public
store is about 10GB.
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
How many mailboxes are over 2 GB?
None, as having 12GB as total size of private store to share amongst 50
users is less than enough for monthly use!
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
What is the ultimate client for Exchange?
Huh? "Client" in the sense of software or human?? And why "ultimate"? In
the sense of software, it's Outlook 2007. In the sense of human, well, I
don't know what you're asking.
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
How many desktops?
About 75. Actually, I've three servers serving Terminal Services in which
almost every user has his own desktop.... so there're about 100 desktop on
these servers, but it's OK if we lose them.
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
All of this factors into the path from Windows 2000 anything to Windows 2008
anything.
For a few desktops, a few users, and Outlook 2003 or 2007, I might create
..pst files from the exchange, install a new domain, and manually move all
the systems and users to the new domain. Cleaner, no muss, no fuss.
Yes, that's the answer I got from trainers (of those MS training courses I
took). However, there're one big problem (or maybe two):
* I need to keep the same security settings in all network shared folders.
Currently, there're a lot of shared folders with very specific security
settings (such group can access, such group can't, etc). It will take me
tremendous amount of time (or impossible) to make a full list of all these
settings.
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
Saving the profiles is either a manual process, or for many there is a third party utility.
With larger exchange mailboxes and OL 2000, where psts over 2 GB are not
supported, you may have a different problem.
Server 2000 implies that the domain and some or all of the systems have been
in place for some time, so it might be time to clean things up.
For X+1 users, a number only your threshold can determine, I might look into
swing migration.
www.sbsmigration.com
Is it possible not to use commercial (thus non free) solution?
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
You still have to deal with the mail and the data, and afaik, a 2000 or 2003
store cannot be mounted in 2007, so exmerge or .pst is the only way.
And...? Could I conclude that OFFICIALLY there's no procedure to migrate
from SBS2000 to AD2008 + Exchange 2007?
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-04-27 11:18:35 UTC
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon". Presumably it will include, or at least reference a path to Server
2008, but the answer is unknown at this point.

As far as "free", vs commercial, for the costs involved if
www.swingmigration offers you a solution jump on it. For a very nominal
fee, compared to the rest of your investment in this project, you get a
fully tested, fully supported solution and a very knowledgeable support
organization to hold your hand through the process.

imo, the best investment you could possibly make in this project.

A fully supported path would be for you to purchase a copy of SBS 2003 and
do two upgrades, but a swing migration, if supported by them would be my
first choice.
TFS
2009-04-27 15:30:02 UTC
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon".
[deleted]
From the very very beginning, and I've repeated it again in my reply, I'm
NOT interested in SBS 2008. And the migration path's target is AD2008 +
EX2007 (SP1), not SBS 2008. Why do you keep on telling me to go to SBS??

As to swingmigration, if the final platform is SBS, I'm not interested
either. I'm wondering if you are working for them, aren't you?
Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]
2009-04-27 15:48:00 UTC
Nobody is working for Jeff Middleton, who is the founder of
www.sbsmigration.com, but we all have very good experiences with using his
kit to migrate. And his kit will allow you to migrate the way you want, the
final platform doesn't have to be SBS.
--
Regards,

Marina Roos
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's
www.smallbizserver.net
Take part in SBS forum: http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53
Post by TFS
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon".
[deleted]
From the very very beginning, and I've repeated it again in my reply, I'm
SteveB
2009-04-27 15:52:51 UTC
Larry and none of us work for Jeff the guru of swing migration. Its a method
that allows for migrating especially AD from one type of server to another.
Therefore its not specifically for SBS even though it was primarily
developed for those types of migrations. Its well worth the small fee that
Jeff charges which includes support from him. I'd get off your high horse
about our recommending it and contact Jeff immediately to get his input into
your project. As Larry says the official MS doc to migrate from SBS 2000 to
SBS 2008 is still being worked on. When that is finished it may give you an
idea of how you could also go from SBS 2000 to Server 2008.
Post by TFS
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon".
[deleted]
From the very very beginning, and I've repeated it again in my reply, I'm
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
2009-04-27 17:57:36 UTC
Well you've already bought the hardware and the software and decided on your path, but would have been much better to do the homework first and then decide and buy.

Essential Business Solution, lets you "keep" many of the tools that you are used to with SBS 2003 and supports up to 300 users

The following link is provided a courtesy to a posting on the web. I cannot speak to it's validity or appropriateness for your situation, but does appear to cover the topic well.
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/833003030931/m/431004707931

You should of course, have verifiable backups to insure you can recover if something does not go well.
--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon".
[deleted]
From the very very beginning, and I've repeated it again in my reply, I'm

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-04-27 20:50:00 UTC
I realize I could have worded that a little, no a lot, more clearly. The
intention was to suggest that you "might" get a clue about moving from SBS
2000 to Server 2008 when the SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 docs are released. MS
*may* suggest a path to Server 2008 in that time frame. If that is not
clear, please ask for clarification.

In addition, I am suggesting that if www.sbsmigration.com has or offers a
supported solution for your project, that is, SBS 2000 to Server 2008 +
Exchange 2007, you should ask them some questions and decided if you like
the solution, the support, and the price.

I have used their technique for many SBS to SBS projects, and some SBS to
non SBS projects, and some non SBS to SBS projects. The essence of it is to
move the AD forward and, in addition, move the data with the same shares and
permissions that you had on the old server. It is a concept, a training
guide, and some very neat tools to do what you want, assuming they have
worked out all the little glitches in going from AD 2000 to AD 2008.
Remember that SBS is also AD, built on the Windows Server OS, plus other
Windows Server Applications.

I did not suggest EBS to you because you said you already had your
components and software. My only question about why you might be leaving
SBS was to verify that you did not have an issue that has since been solved
with the later releases of SBS. The only one that you have evidenced is
that you expect to be over the user limit. The exchange size is now 75 X 6
GB, so that would probably have been sufficient. If you had shift workers,
you could use device licenses, where there is no "user" limit. Since that
does not fit your situation, I assumed you would appreciate a recommend to a
possible solution.

In any case, browse up to www.sbsmigration.com and drop them an email, or
give them a call. You might be surprised, you might be disappointed. But
if you think they are paying me, or anyone else for this suggestion, you
will have to figure out if you could do what he does, offer the support he
does, and still spread the money around from the fee he charges. Trust me,
he does not, nor would I suggest that you contact them in a public forum if
I were being paid for that recommendation.
--
Post by TFS
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon".
[deleted]
From the very very beginning, and I've repeated it again in my reply, I'm
TFS
2009-05-05 18:33:01 UTC
Post by Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
The migration path from SBS 2000 to SBS 2008 is being worked on. The ETA is
"soon". Presumably it will include, or at least reference a path to Server
2008, but the answer is unknown at this point.
OK, how about a doc for "SBS 2003 to SBS 2008"? Does it exist? I only find
a doc on "SBS 2000 to SBS 2003".
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
a doc on "SBS 2000 to SBS 2003".
Darcy
2009-05-20 23:32:01 UTC
Try this but you'll have to adapt it slightly since you won't be installing
the SBS2008 server after you've migrated to a 2008 domain using 2008 Standard
Server (or Enterprise in your case). Then you are on your own for Exchange
but the document should give you the idea. It looks possibly a bit labour
intensive if you're dealing with 50+ users on Exchange, but overall hopefully
saves you some time.. if you haven't done it already.

Migrating Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 to Windows Small Business
Server 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b86e2af5-782b-4001-bf86-d872028a4619

Good Luck.