Time Synchronization to Current vs Local time
RobGMiller
2009-03-14 14:13:01 UTC
Station time synchornization to Windows 2000 SBS Domain Controller was
working great until recent spring daylignt saving automatic adjustment.

Then the PDC current time differed by one hour on the PDC. The current time
was moved forward by two hours and the local time was moved forward by one
hour automatically.

All the stations synchronized with the current time.

I searched on how to synchronize the current time with the local time but
found nothing other than changing the time zone on the PDC back and forth
which did not help. Finally, I changed the time zone to the wrong time zone
and used net time /set to set the time on the PDC and then the current and
local time became the same and the stations continued to synchronize to the
current time.

All is well for now but I was wondering if anyone can explain what is
causing the discrepancy and perhaps a definitive way of setting the current
and local time properly.

Thanks...
RobGMiller
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-03-14 15:55:30 UTC
Hi Rob:

Microsoft announced several years ago that they would not be patching this
on 2000 platforms. I found it strange then, but they decided it was out of
support and was not to be done. Since the rules change frequently and
differently in different areas, you can begin to understand why.

Depending on the time zone you occupy, daylight savings can have strange
effects. Look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387

and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931667/

and there are several like this. I don't have any Windows 2000 servers left
in production, but iirc, this fixed the last couple that I had. ymmv.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html

as always, "trust but verify". Do not apply anything without a thorough
review of your environment and without checking the source.
--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
RobGMiller
RobGMiller

RobGMiller
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-03-14 21:40:34 UTC
You are welcome.... glad it helped.

Come back here and help others when you can.

Time, really, to get off SBS 2000. 03 was a BIG improvement, 08 builds on
that.