SBS TS License issue
sdmusicmaker
2009-10-23 16:01:01 UTC
We have a sbs2000 which acts as a TS license server. I want to add a new
windows 2003 member server as the new TS and not use the sbs2000. Can I add
the 2003 server TS license server to the domain as a license server?

thnaks,

sd
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
2009-10-23 17:54:47 UTC
Hi:

It has been some time since I thought about this, but it seems to me that
Server 2000 had a special exemption for TS Cals that allowed TS users up
to the limit of the Server Cals without purchasing a TS license CAL.

My distant bell says the clients had to be 2000 pro, but I may be listening
to the wrong bell.. <g>

If true, and you don't own TS CALs for Server 2003, you most likely will
need them. Check with the MS License desk for better info.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com
sd
Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]
2009-11-09 20:18:29 UTC
SD,

The answer here is yes, but there's caveats.

You can add a Windows 2003 server to an SBS 2000 domain, but you must
install the License Server on the Windows 2003 server and follow a couple of
KBs to configure it so that you can have a non-DC as your license server, or
you need to make the 2003 server a DC (I wouldn't recommend that).

Terminal Server Licensing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738128(WS.10).aspx

Terminal Services Licensing service discovery

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301932/

How to override the license server discovery process in Windows Server 2003
Terminal Services

- Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP