SBS 2000 to Windows 2008 Standard Migration
Kent Tylman
2008-12-28 15:37:36 UTC
I need to migrate SBS 2000 to Windows 2008 Standard. There is no Exchange
running. Can I join the SBS domain, run DC promo and then sieze the FSMO
roles or do I need to use ADMT? Is ADMT supported in this scenareo? Thanks
for any help.
Kent
Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-12-28 16:10:53 UTC
Microsoft has not really published any supported scenarios
based on everything I understand, because of the difference in AD Schemas,
you'd have to introduce a Win2003 R2 server as a DC, take over the roles,
etc.
then raise the domain and forest functional levels to Windows 2003 then run
forestprep and domainprep from the Win2k8 software, then introduce the
Win2k8 server.
--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Author, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
Kent
Kent Tylman
2008-12-28 17:41:01 UTC
Cris,

Sorry about the duplicate posting but something is messed up with the web
interface on the newsgroup and I could reply in the same thread.

Is there a version of ADMT that will work for this? Which server would I
install it on?
--
Kent