UPGRADE SBS 2000 (TS MODE) -> 2003 STD
jdlynch70
2009-01-09 00:09:19 UTC
I currently have a W2K server running in TS App mode that was built with a
SBS2000 install disc. The SBS components were never installed. It's not the
DC and does not have AD, ISA or EXCH installed. Is there any way to upgrade
this server to W2K3 Standard? I have a FULL version of W2K3 which gave the
following error when trying to upgrade:

"Windows Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Small Business
Server 2000 to Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition.
Setup cannot continue."

Can I upgrade it with a SBS2003R2 disc and stop at the SBS install, just
like the SBS2000 install?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
2009-01-09 00:45:09 UTC
Hi JD,

SBS was designed and sold to be used as an integrated suite of components.
No, I don't believe (without significant hacking) that you're going to be
able to upgrade to Win2K3 from your currently configured server. SBS does
not provide a direct upgrade path to Windows Server 2003. What you actually
did with SBS 2000 was not legal and is unsupported in all versions of SBS.
SBS must be installed as a domain controller and hold all 5 FSMO roles. In
fact, SBS 2003 will shut down every hour if you stop after the first CD (the
base Windows 2003 install) and don't complete the setup.
--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]