network slow down...
Brad Pears
2009-01-22 16:43:42 UTC
We recently lost one of a win2K file servers to a bad disk array. This
server was neither a domain controller or member controller at all... I had
to restore files from disk backup to two other servers for the time being
until we get this one back up and running.

Since the other server has been down, I have noticed (not jsut me but all
the users are complaining too) that everything is so much slower since the
server went down - even when there is not much load on the network at all...
Simply accssing files or even creating a new shortcut on the desktop just
seems extra slow...

Why would this be when it was not a domain controller or member controller??
Why would this be happening and is there a way to recify this situation at
all?

It's going to be a few weeks before we get the other server back up...

Help!

Brad
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-01-23 01:23:06 UTC
Not clear from your message if there are any SBS servers in the mix, but
regardless, I would suspect mapped drives, shortcuts, or some other
relationship between the remaining systems and the one that has departed.

These things can be hard to track down, but try that.

If the missing server is "just" a member server it should not be causing you
DNS or WINS problems, but you might want to verify that there are no entries
in any ipconfig /all that refer in any way to the missing member.
--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
Brad
Brad Pears
2009-01-28 15:23:05 UTC
Hi Larry... Yes, we do have a Win2K SBS in our environement - as well as a
member Win2K3 Doman controller. The server that went down was simply a Win2K
file server. It did handle the DHCP responsibilities but I have since moved
that responsibility to another server. It's so strange because simply right
clicking the desktop and selecting create new shortcut seems to take a
while - and once you actually enter a path to the new share - holy crap does
that take a while to complete once you click finish!!! I jkust don;t
understand what is going on.

On many of the machines there are the old shortcutrs on the users desktops
and in some cases some of the old mapped drive letters are still present,
but if the user is not selecting these things there should be no problems
right? I have told the users to leave their old shortucts there - becasue
once the new server is back in place- they will be available again...

The funny thing is that on a few of the computers, the speed seems to be ok
. On some, apps like Adobe take absolutely for ever to open all of a
sudden!!! I am at a loss to understand why things like this would happen
from a simple file server going down..

Thanks, Brad
Brad
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2009-01-29 13:52:05 UTC
You may have identified your issue. In the SBS world it is best if the SBS
is the DHCP server, and now that you have moved to yet another box your
network is most likely confused.

For grins, try:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

on a workstation.

But I would rather see you move DHCP to the SBS.
Brad
derick