Client cannot connect Outlook with Exchange while VPN'n
Sean
2008-11-24 01:40:16 UTC
Hi there.

I have a client who can connect to exchange just fine when he is on
the corperate network, but when he vpn's in he cannot connect to
exchange through Outlook.

He can access other network resources just fine. Just cannot connect
to Exchange.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks guys.

Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-24 15:00:01 UTC
This is usually an issue with name resolution over VPN
You don't mention which version of SBS?
--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Author, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
Sean
2008-11-24 17:25:35 UTC
Post by Sean
Hi there.
I have a client who can connect to exchange just fine when he is on
the corperate network, but when he vpn's in he cannot connect to
exchange through Outlook.
He can access other network resources just fine. Just cannot connect
to Exchange.
Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks guys.
S- Hide quoted text -
Sorry about that... I hate when people dont add the information
needed. :)

I have a client who is running Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP SP3 laptop
trying to connect to his Exchange (MS SBS 2000). He VPN's in and can
easly access his network drives as he normally does. These shares are
on the same server as the Excahnge server. I can ping the server by
its name on this laptop. I tried the TELNET suggestion to try to
connect to the server via port 25 with no luck.
When the user brings his laptop into the office, and logs in.. no
issues at all. I guess this has been an issue for some time and I am
uncertain about when it started happening.
Sean
2008-11-24 17:52:19 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
uncertain about when it started happening.- Hide quoted text -
On a side note Chris, what are your thoughts on the SBSmigration
"SWING" Method? I have 8 users in this office and I am wondering if
SWING is a good idea or should I just build another 2003 SBS?

Thanks for your time Chris...

Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]

Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-24 19:11:12 UTC
Is he able to get to Outlook Web Access?

Does the Exchange server receive mail directly on port 25 or is Exchange
collecting mail via POP3 from an ISP with the POP3 connector?

Sean
2008-11-24 19:44:51 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
Exchange is using port 25. We do not have OWA enabled on the 2000
SBS. What blows me away is that he can still access shares that are on
the same server as Exchange.

. Reason why I was going from 2000 to 2003 was because I head that
they upgrade from 2000 directly to 2008 can be complicated. Since we
already own 2003 (and have a licence to upgrade to 2008 whenever we
want) I thought that going to 2003 would be a good idea. Once we are
stablized on 2003, then make the jump up to 2008.
Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-24 21:06:14 UTC
1. Are you talking about an inplace upgrade, or upgrade to SBS 2003 on a
new server?

2. Regarding the email/vpn issue. When the remote computer is connected
to the SBS server, can he ping the server by name? if he does an nslookup
on the SBS server name, does it resolve? is WINS information being
populated?

Sean
2008-11-25 02:07:09 UTC
On Nov 24, 1:06 pm, "Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]"
Post by Sean
[...]
stablized on 2003, then make the jump up to 2008.- Hide quoted text -
So the client (while on the local network) can ping the exchange
server by the name. (ie ping our-pdc). Also, when I submit NSLOOKUP on
the client machine while on the network, it returns the SBS "ourserver-
pdc.mydomain.com with an internal ip address 192.168.168.2.

I am at the office now looking through some logs. I am curious why the
drive could be accessed but Exchange couldnt. I did notice that when
VPN'd in the "Connection-specific DNS Suffix" was not ourdomain.com
but invlaid IP or something to that effect.

I have to undock his laptop now and drive around the neighborhood to
find a wireless network to test the VPN. :(

THanks again for your time.

Sean
2008-11-25 03:09:03 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
So, I am at a Tully's (need another network to test this on) and I am
VPN'd into our office and when I type NSLOOKUP MYSERVER at this point
Post by Sean
nslookup
Server: ns.nnu.com
Address: 63.79.12.161

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nslookup.ourdomain.com
Address: 68.178.xxx.xx

When I ping our SBS (which is Exchange and DC) I return the correct IP
address. I can also remote desktop from the laptop to the server no
problem.

Totally bamboozled.

Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-25 03:28:06 UTC
been forever since I've worked with a 2000 server, so my apologies.
but you need verify in the VPN connectiod on the laptop that it's using the
SBS server for DNS and WINs
You can actually set this up in the DHCP server to make sure it gets pushed
out when they get their address

Never did ask...is there only the one laptop trying to connect? Or are
there others and you are just having problems with the one?

Sean
2008-11-25 03:54:02 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
So this is the only laptop that is trying to connect. The owner is the
only one that uses VPN. I added the internal DNS server to the VPN
connection and also added the WINS server in there. (they are both the
same). I then reconnected, but Outlook still cannot connect with
Exchange. SInce I added the DNS and WINS into the VPN client and it is
reflecting those servers when I IPCONFIG /ALL is there still a need to
add it to DHCP?

Sean
2008-11-25 03:58:59 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
WHen VPN'd in, I noticed that my default gateway(of my VPN connection)
is the IP address of the laptop and not the default gateway listed on
the PC's in the office.... that is strange...
Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]

Sean
2008-11-25 04:35:04 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
the PC's in the office.... that is strange...- Hide quoted text -
If that is the issue, then I have to wonder how I can Remote Desktop
and access network shares.. to me that points to Outlook or
Exchange...
Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-25 04:41:56 UTC
Remote Desktop and VPN are two very different technolgies for accessing
information on a remote system.
With VPN you are attempting to establish a "lan" type connection using the
internet. There are many things that can interfere with this working 100%
properly.

With Remote Desktop, you are taking over control of a machine, almost as if
you are sitting at it.

Exchange...
Sean
2008-11-25 05:20:27 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
Yeah I totally get that, I guess my point is that once I am VPN'd in I
can Remote desktop to a PC by the PC name.. that means that INTERNAL
DNS should be working. That also should mean that since the laptop can
access network shares, it should be authenticated. I think also since
I can ping the server, my DNS SEEMS to be working.. Since I am
auth'ed and I can ping by name internally, WINS/DNS seem to work.

When I hit Send receive, it has 3 entries.. Exchange server sending,
Exchange Server, and Exchange Server Receiving. It hangs there for a
while in PROCESSING status then after about a minute to 5 minutes I
get the following errors:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004011D) : 'The
server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition
persists.'

and one other error... I have to wait to post that one until it comes
up again..
Sean
2008-11-25 05:22:08 UTC
Post by Sean
[...]
read more »
Here is that other error:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x80040115) : 'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server
is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
action.'
Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-25 06:10:01 UTC
you many want to consider creating enteries for the SBS server in the
laptop's host and lmhost files. I'd venture to say this should solve the
issue.
Of course, when away from the office, Outlook Web Access is also an option.

The real solution, although not a cheap one is that they need to upgrade to
at least SBS 2003. Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 support Outlook over HTTP
or what is known at Outlook Anywhere. No need to VPN in. SBS 2003 (or
2008) also introduce Remote Web Workplace.

Keep in mind the product you're on is almost 9 years old and out of
Microsoft's mainstream support policy. And it will be harder and harder to
find those who can assist you when troubles arise.

action.'
Sean
2008-11-25 17:34:54 UTC
Hi Chris,

So last night I was up until 3am working this issue. Had to go to
Tully's everytime I wanted to test something. :(

After adding the FQDN and the hostname of the SBS I was able to TELENT
to port 25 and connect! Good thing. However, Outlook STILL did not
connect to Excahnge. I TS'd into the SBS and pinged the laptop by name
and got a return.

The upgrade to 2003 is coming in December.. I am going to cut some
time out to get that done. However, this excerise was because the
owner needs to leave the country and have VPN working for email....
Since he does not NEED to bring a laptop, I suggested he use GOTOPC
from South America. He was willing to try that solution.

I am still frustrated at this issue. It makes no sense.

Larry, thanks for taking the time to explain posting. I thought the
way that my replies were getting posting seemed a bit wrong. I tried
deleting everything from the reply in this post, lets see how it
looks.

Cris Hanna [SBS MVP]
2008-11-25 18:56:03 UTC
did you try adding the server to the host file and lmhosts file on the
laptop?

And if all he wants is email access, what about outlook web access?
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
2008-11-25 19:03:41 UTC
Just for good measure...

Configuring OWA on SBS 2000 to use SSL
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articles/tabid/266/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/95/Configuring-OWA-on-SBS-2000-to-use-SSL.aspx
--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================
Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]
2008-11-25 12:33:09 UTC
Here is that other error:

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending and Receiving' reported
error (0x80040115) : 'The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server
is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
action.'
_____

Sean:

No attempt to turn this into a top vs. bottom posting discussion. I frankly
don't care. But clarity and ease of use is a good thing.

As you "probably" don't read your own replies, you may not notice how
difficult it becomes to scroll to the bottom of a long thread to read them.
The entire logic behind posting at the end is so that the reader can see
first the info to which you are replying. Anyone following the thread would
likely remember the context, and a newcomer to the thread is able to move to
the previous (and so on) post to see what had gone before.

It would be much more productive if you either posted immediately after the
previous reply, or deleted all but the relevant part from each of your
replies. Replying at the bottom of a very long thread discourages others
from reading and replying.

I actually debated whether to add this comment to the top or the bottom, and
the reality is that if you cut out all the previous posts, it doesn't
matter.