How do I add a printer to a server domain?
Daweb
2004-10-19 14:35:02 UTC
Hello,

Late last week when I was out of the office, suddenly a printer would not
print. Through troubleshooting efforts, I've determined that the printer is
no longer identified or tied to the server domain. How do add it back in?
Please be specific with your explanation as I am a newbi at this.
--
Thanks so much!

Debbie
Kevin Weilbacher
2004-10-19 14:56:56 UTC
Hard to be specific when we don't know the details, such as:
- model/type of printer
- is it connected to the server or to a workstation or to a network print
device or via built in network connection?
- if to the server or workstation, via Parallel or USB?
- if networked, is the printer setup with a static IP address?
- how was it initially installed?
--
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
Debbie
Daweb
2004-10-19 15:11:05 UTC
Kevin - thanks for responding. Hopefully I can answer all your questions.

Model of Printer : HP LaserJet 4m - I believe that it has Jetdirect.

It is connected to a workstation via parallel port.

Does it have static IP? I don't know. I can't find the user manual to
figure out how to print the config page. And the printer is no longer
supported by HP. So I don't know how to get the IP address of the printer.

How was it initially installed? I don't know. I wasn't employed here at
that time.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Debbie
Debbie
Daweb
2004-10-19 15:17:06 UTC
I'm going to try this again. I've tried to post two responses which I lose
when I get an error.

Model: HP LaserJet 4m

It is networked through a workstation via a Parallel Port.

I don't know if or what the IP address is. I can't find the user manual to
figure out how to print a config page. And I haven't been able to figure it
out by pushing the menu buttons. How can you find out what the IP address is?

I don't know how it was intially installed. It occurred before I was
employed here.

Hope this helps and thanks!

Debbie
Debbie
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2004-10-19 14:42:52 UTC
Post by Daweb
Hello,
Late last week when I was out of the office, suddenly a printer would
not print. Through troubleshooting efforts, I've determined that the
printer is no longer identified or tied to the server domain. How do
add it back in? Please be specific with your explanation as I am a
newbi at this.
How is it connected? Is it a network printer, assigned a TCP/IP address? If
so, what's the IP address and can you ping it?

If it's locally attached to a computer, can that computer print to it?
Daweb
2004-10-19 15:27:06 UTC
I receive an error when I attempt to print from the workstation that the
printer is connected to. The message says, "Error writing to LPT1. Printer
is not ready... retry or cancel"

Debbie
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2004-10-19 16:43:24 UTC
Post by Daweb
I receive an error when I attempt to print from the workstation that
the printer is connected to. The message says, "Error writing to
LPT1. Printer is not ready... retry or cancel"
Then it isn't a network printer - it's a local printer you've shared on a
workstation.
Can you log into the workstation directly and print to the printer?
Daweb
2004-10-19 18:51:04 UTC
Lanwench -

No, that's the workstation I attempted to print from. That's when I get the
error message below.

When I go into the Printers folder on the workstation that the printer is
connected to, it shows the printer there.

Also, when trying to print from my workstation, I get an error that says
something to the effect, "insufficient memory".

Any suggestions?
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2004-10-20 03:02:24 UTC
Post by Daweb
Lanwench -
No, that's the workstation I attempted to print from. That's when I
get the error message below.
When I go into the Printers folder on the workstation that the
printer is connected to, it shows the printer there.
Also, when trying to print from my workstation, I get an error that
says something to the effect, "insufficient memory".
Any suggestions?
OK, so try to print from the workstation the printer is attached to.
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2004-10-20 13:25:04 UTC
Post by Daweb
Lanwench -
No, that's the workstation I attempted to print from. That's when I
get the error message below.
When I go into the Printers folder on the workstation that the
printer is connected to, it shows the printer there.
Also, when trying to print from my workstation, I get an error that
says something to the effect, "insufficient memory".
Any suggestions?
OK, so try to print from the workstation the printer is attached to.
Whoops - I think that's what you said you tried. When you open the printers
applet in control panel, and view in 'details' view, what's the status? This
printer is directly connected to the workstation via a parallel cable,
right? Not connected to a print server that then connects to the network via
an Ethernet patch cable?